Civil Engineering is probably the oldest branch of engineering. It involves the study of planning, design, construction, maintenance, and supervision of new and existing projects. These can include towers, bridges, roads, airports, etc. Btech in civil engineering is a four-year course based on a semester system, whose graduates go on to become site engineers, structural engineers, construction engineers, and so on and so forth.
The eligibility requirements for pursuing a Btech In Civil Engineering are quite similar to those of any other engineering course. However, little details can vary from college to college.
- 50% or above marks in 10+2 examinations from a recognised board with PCM (Physics, Chemistry, and Maths) combination
- Diploma holders in civil engineering are directly eligible for Btech in Civil Engineering in some colleges
- There is a relaxation (40%) for students of the reserved categories
- Good marks or ranking in entrance examinations
- Some colleges have an age limit for aspirants. It is usually between 17 to 24 years in most cases.
The admission criteria for most colleges is having good scores in national or state-level entrance examinations. Each institute has its own cutoff rate on the basis of rankings or percentages in these entrance examinations. Some private colleges of repute even have their own entrance examination on the basis of which seats are allotted. The best engineering colleges in Maharashtra, for example, allot seats on the basis of rankings in the MHT CET. Some private colleges also conduct direct admission on the basis of merit or donations.
Fees and Scholarships
The fees for a full-length (4 years) Btech in civil engineering course runs around 2-6 lakhs on average. Of course, this varies from college to college.
Thankfully, most colleges and universities offer comprehensive scholarship options to meritorious students and students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds. Engineering colleges in Solapur, like Terna College of Engineering, Osmanabad, offer a range of scholarships from academic scholarships, to government scholarships and AICTE scholarships. These scholarships benefit lots of students and waiver costs between INR 10000 to even 100% of the total cost of tuition.
Civil Engineers graduating from B Tech colleges in Maharashtra can choose from a lot of fields to specialize in. These include:
- Construction Engineering – Deals with the design and management of projects like sewage systems, roadways, etc., in the construction industry
- Geotechnical Engineering – Deals with how man-made structures interface with the ground they are built on top of
- Structural Engineering – Deals with creating stable, rigid, and environmentally safe structures
- Bridge Engineering – Deals with the drawing and construction of bridges with excellent structural integrity and load-bearing capacity
- Land Development – Deals with the division of land and its allotment for different use cases in close relation with government agencies
- Transportation Engineering – Deals with the building, construction, planning, design, operation, and maintenance of stable transportation systems like roads, airways, railways, ports, etc
- Hydraulic Engineering – Deals with the flow, corrosion, and design and development of structures through which liquids flow, like canals or sewage systems.
- Environmental Engineering – Deals with projects related to environmental safety and protection like air pollution control systems, water reclamation systems, etc.
- Coastal and Ocean Engineering – Deals with conceptualization and design of structures that interface with oceans like flood control systems, artificial islands, etc.
- Fire Protection Engineering – deals with the design of safeguards that prevent, control, or mitigate fires
- General Engineering – Deals with converting a piece of land for use from one purpose to another
- Irrigation Engineering – Deals with the design, maintenance, etc., of irrigation systems
- Materials Engineering – Deals with materials used in construction and their application based on their inherent properties
- Urban Engineering – Deals with Urban Planning and development
- Water Resources Engineering – Deals with the management and design of water resources like springs, water treatment facilities, etc.
Subjects in Civil Engineering
A typical syllabus for a civil engineering course in Btech colleges in Solapur may look like this, based on a semester basis:
- Physics 1
- Introduction to Programming
- Ecology and Environment
- Introduction to Civil Engineering
- Functions of Variables
- Engineering Drawing
- Physics Lab 1
- Engineering Mechanics
- Civil Engineering: Materials and Construction
- Physics 2
- Series and Matrices
- Chemistry 1
- Chemistry Lab
- Transportation Engineering 1
- Hydraulic Engineering
- Mechanics of Materials
- Geotechnical Engineering 1
- Transportation Engineering 2
- Structural Analysis
- Humanities Elective 1
- Environmental Engineering
- Science Electives
- Geotechnical Engineering 2
- Water Resource Engineering
- Hydraulic and Environmental Engineering Lab
- Basic RC Design
- Life Sciences
- Construction Material Lab
- Construction Project Management
- Humanities Elective 2
- Basic Steel Design
Graduates of civil engineering from engineering colleges in Solapur, for example, have a lot of career opportunities depending on their specialization. These range from 3-5 LPA for a civil engineer with no specialization to 6-7 LPA for a rare specialization like a Water Resource Engineer or Environmental Engineer. Experienced civil engineers with specializations can go up to earn even as much as 40 LPA.
Civil engineers are responsible for the design, construction, and maintenance of every structure ever built by humans and ever will be built in the future. Therefore, there is no dearth of scope if you choose to study BTech in Civil Engineering from TERNA College of Engineering, Osmanabad. With benefits like quick job growth, high packages, freedom of imagination, high demand, and the ability to visit exotic places to work on projects, there is no reason not to choose this course for a stable and blooming career.